Know What to Do in Case of a Dental Emergency
A dental emergency could happen when you’re enjoying a delicious meal and bite down on something that cracks a tooth. Or you might get in an accident and suffer a blow that knocks out one of your teeth. Whatever the situation, it’s important to know what to do when a dental crisis happens. Below are some common dental emergencies and the steps to take before you’re seen in our office:
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth with warm water, then apply ice or a cold compress to the outside of your cheek in the area of the pain. Taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen will help with pain and swelling.
- Loose or Dislodged Tooth – Try to gently move the tooth back into position if possible. Applying ice will help with any pain or swelling before your appointment.
- Broken Tooth – Retrieve any pieces of your tooth and bring them with you to your appointment.
- Knocked-Out Tooth – Be careful to only touch the tooth by the crown (white part) and not the roots. Try to put it back in place if possible. If not, put the tooth in a container of salt water or milk and bring it to the office.
- Soft-Tissue Injury – Use a small piece of gauze or a moist tea bag to stop any bleeding from your cheek, lips, gums, or tongue. If the bleeding doesn’t stop in a few minutes, go to the nearest emergency room or urgent treatment center.
Rely on Our Expertise During Your Emergency
Depending on your situation, we may recommend one or more treatments to repair your smile. Below are some common fixes when patients come to us with a dental emergency:
- Tooth filling
- Dental crown or bridge
- Dental appliance repair
We can take care of any dental emergencies in Mauldin. Contact Mauldin Square Dental now for the fast help you need. New patients call 864-774-4758 and existing patients call 864-397-5944. For any non-emergency needs, you can also .